ANZAC Search

Robert Hughes Hill


Serial No:
Serial No. 3791

13th Battalion


Robert Hughes Hill - Information

Robert left for war service, steaming across the ocean on the HMAT Suevic, which departed Sydney Harbour on the 20th of December 1915. Robert and his family migrated to Australia from Belfast in Ireland. Robert came to Thirlmere finding work as an orchardist. When he was 22, he joined up on the 30th of August 1915 in Holsworthy. He was made a Private with the 12th Reinforcements, 13th Battalion before setting off.

Robert arrived in Egypt in early 1916, meeting his unit at Tel-el-Kebir in March. On the 1st of June, they were transported to the Western Front. After a stint in hospital, Robert rejoined the 1st Battalion as they were fighting during the Somme Offensive. While in action at Pozières, Robert was wounded on the 8th of August, hit in the left thigh. He was rushed to the 14th General Hospital in Wimereux, and the next day, was evacuated to England to the Middlesex War Hospital. Robert recovered from his severe wound, slowly returning to Class A. However, towards the end of the year, he got himself into trouble. Not wanting to return to the horrors on the battlefield, he went absent without leave from the 2nd of December until the 26th of January 1917. He was arrested and brought before a Court Martial at Wareham on the 7th of February. He was found guilty and sentenced to 48 days detention. He served his time at Chelmsford Detention Barracks. He returned to duty on the 1st of April, resuming training at Windmill Hill. Here, he was transferred to the 62nd Battalion, and in late May, was appointed Temporary Corporal. He then attended a Brigade School in June, and promoted Corporal on the 18th of August at Fovant. The following month, he was transferred back to the 13th Battalion. In January 1918, he was placed on Permanent Cadre. In July, he asked for a leave of absence. He applied for a scholarship to finish his Bachelor’s Degree. It was granted, and he attended Christ College in Cambridge. His leave was extended to 1921, and he was subsequently discharged in the UK.