ANZAC Search

Frederick Joseph Hawkey


Serial No:
Serial No. 543

1st ANZAC Cyclist Battalion &4th Battalion


Frederick Joseph Hawkey - Information

Frederick was the youngest child of Richard and Mary Ann Hawkey. Richard and Mary Ann migrated to the NSW Colony from England in the mid 1850s. While at sea, they welcomed their first child, Sarah. Once in NSW, Richard and Mary Ann settled down on a property in Camden. Here, they added to their family, including Frederick, born in Camden on the 26th of September 1879. Frederick grew up in the area with his many siblings. When he was still young, he lost his mother in 1887. Sadly, the Hawkey children would loose their father as well, when he passed away in 1901. Working as a farmer and shire inspector, Frederick also gained military experience serving in the Camden Mounted Rifles for 6 years. He later resided at Hillcrest on Menangle Rd. However, the war would soon interrupt the peaceful lives of the Hawkey family. In 1915, Frederick’s nephew, Richard John, enlisted in the AIF and went off to war. In March 1916, Frederick’s older brother, John Martin, also enlisted. Two months later, Frederick followed suit, signing up on the 5th of May 1916 in Rosebery Park, aged 36. He was posted to the 1st ANZAC Cyclist Battalion as a Private. He then embarked Sydney on the 24th of August 1916 onboard the HMAT Anchises.

Frederick disembarked in Plymouth in mid October and was marched into Parkhouse. With the extreme winter putting a strain on manpower, Frederick was transferred to the 4th Infantry Battalion at Durrington in early April. In early June, Frederick left Folkestone for the Western Front in France, meeting his unit in the field. The 4th Battalion then participated in operations during the Third Battle of Ypres. During these attacks, heavy rains turned the battlefield into a quagmire, and Frederick took ill. He returned to the lines in November, enduring the bitter winter. Frederick then enjoyed some leave in Paris and England in February and March 1918, respectively. However, once he was back on the Western Front, he developed symptoms, reporting to hospital with venereal disease in May. He was released in September, and a few weeks later appointed Driver. After hostilities ceased, Frederick and his unit were transported back to England. On the 31st of May 1919, he commenced his journey back to Australia, and shortly reunited with his family in Camden.