The population of Macarthur were drawn together in honouring the service that their loved ones had endured. The names of the fallen and those who were serving, were published in newspaper lists throughout the war. The public then asked for Roll of Honours to be erected in the area, such as at the Ingleburn School of Arts. In 1918, Headmaster Mr Klein also expressed his wish for a Roll of Honour to be established at the Campbelltown Public School. In 1923, St Peters Church replaced the organ with a pipe organ in memorandum of the First World War soldiers. The Campbelltown, Camden and Ingleburn RSSILA Branches also hung plagues commemorating the war dead and a nominal roll. Camden institutions also developed tributes to their fallen as early as 1916. Sadly, more names had to be added. A roll of honour was hung in the Camden Methodist Church, Camden School of Arts and in Foresters’ Hall. A Roll of Honour was then erected at Mt Hunter Public School, and the Methodist Church in Luddenham.
Many throughout the community believed that a more permanent war memorial was necessary to honour those who served in the Great War. A development was proposed for the creation of a Campbelltown Soldier’s Memorial School of Arts on the corner of Queen and Lithgow. On the 1st of December 1920, a foundation stone was laid by the Governor of NSW, Sir Walter Davidson. The building was completed in 1924, with soldiers who were natives or residents of the area, given a life-time membership. On the 18th of July 1925, a commemoration stone was laid by Mayor Roy Gamble (whose two brothers served in the war). The Memorial was officially opened on Saturday the 10th of October 1925, by Mrs Cox, the wife of General Cox. The Memorial contained a billiards room with two tables, a Committee Room, a library with 4000 books, Honour Rolls and a collection of photographs of servicemen. The Memorial was run by a Committee of ex-veterans and town leaders, including James Kershler, H. R. Williamson, A. Williams, C. Nicol, H. Scobie and C. J. Brown. The Memorial helped to honour those who served, and gave those who returned a place where they could congregate and talk. The creation of the site, however, left some outstanding debt. So in December 1926, the Campbelltown community came together in support of their Memorial. On the 3rd and 4th of December, a Carnival was held to generate funds. There was a variety of Bazaar Stalls, a Fancy Dress Procession, a Queen Pageant and Crowning Ceremony. The Memorial played an important role in members sharing their war experiences and loss. It was also a place of honour and celebration during the Second World War. Unfortunately, the Memorial was closed and eventually demolished in 1967.
In 1918, Camden Alderman, George F. Furner was re-elected Mayor. A task he and his councillors paid particular attention to, was the development of a Roll of Honour erected in front of the Post Office, inscribed with the names of servicemen from the area. The population of Camden also understood the need for a memorial more befitting to the sacrifice of so many of its town folks. This was achieved largely due to the influence and generosity of General George Macleay Macarthur Onslow. As a trustee of Camden Park Estate, he was prepared to donate park land on which a Memorial could be constructed, and which still stands today. A Soldiers Memorial Committee was established to make all the arrangements. Presided by Dr West, the committee featured returned servicemen R. Stuckey, E. Downes, C. Butler, F. Brigstocke, and R. Asimus. On the 16th of September 1922, the Memorial Park was unveiled by Sibella Macarthur Onslow. The names of men whom served from the district were listed proudly on stone pillars. The Federal Government also donated German guns to the Memorial as war trophies, and the Gates were funded by Dr West. The Memorial Park has become a fine example of the area’s military history and an integral part of Anzac commemoration.