ANZAC Search

William Harold Taylor

Lance Corporal

Serial No:
Serial No. 1098

1st Light Trench Mortar Battery & 3rd Battalion


William Harold Taylor - Information

The Taylors were a large farming family that came from Sydney. William's parents, William and Agnes Taylor, had settled in Appin on Brooks Point Rd. Here, William was born on the 26th of March 1898, and grew up in the area with his many siblings. When the war commenced, William was still living with his family in Appin and working as a labourer. When he turned 18 years old, he decided to sign up. He travelled into Sydney to join the AIF at Moore Park on the 4th of March 1916. He then began his training at the Depot Camp in Goulburn, where he was designated to the 1st Light Trench Mortar Battery as a Private. He was sent abroad on the HMAT Euripides, sailing from Sydney on the 9th of September 1916.

William reached Plymouth in late October and was marched out to the 1st Training Battalion. He was then sent to France in April 1917, arriving at the 1st Australian Division Base Depot. At the end of the month, he joined the 3rd Battalion in the field. William participated in action during the Third Battle of Ypres in Belgium. After experiencing a cold and wet winter, he was placed on command at Bombardier School in February 1918. William returned to his unit as the powerful German Spring Offensive unfolded. With the Germans in sight of Paris, the Allies desperately held onto their line and began pushing back. Following the Battle of Amiens, William was wounded in action on the 24th of August, when he was caught in a gas attack. He was rushed to hospital in Rouen, and later invalided to England to Bath War Hospital. William recovered, and returned to his unit in France a few days before the war ended. On the 10th of February 1919, he was promoted to Lance Corporal, and shortly transported back in England. Here, he met and fell in love with British local Margaret Yates, who came from Leigh. William and Margaret married at the St Joseph's Catholic Church on Chapel St in Leigh on the 9th of August 1919. William and his new bride then returned to Australia in December 1919.