ANZAC Search

Warren Graham Kershler


Serial No:
Serial No. 3080

3rd Battalion & 1st Divisional HeadquarterS


Warren Graham Kershler - Information

Warren Graham Kershler was a member of an important Campbelltown family. The Kershlers had significant commercial and farming ties to the area, and political ties as Warren’s uncle, George Kershler, served as a Town Alderman. Warren was born in Campbelltown in 1894 to James W. and Mary Ann Kershler. He lived with his parents on Broughton St, while working as a clerk. The news of war in Europe had a profound impact on the Kershler family. The family’s German ancestry had caused some general snickering and questions of loyalty. However, this did not diminish, but enhanced even when Warren enlisted. He joined up at Warwick Farm on the 1st of August 1915.

Warren was allocated to the 3rd Battalion and was shipped out from Sydney on the 8th of October 1915 on the HMAT Warilda. He landed in Egypt in November, where he received further training. In late March, he departed Alexandria for the trenches in France. By May, he joined the 3rd Battalion in the field. At the time, the Allies were in high spirits believing the end was in sight, with the development of an offensive in the Somme Sector. It was thought that this would crush the Germans and bring about a breakthrough victory. It did not, the battle went poorly, and the Anzacs were mustered as much needed reinforcements. The 3rd Battalion like many others would suffer many casualties during assaults at Pozières in July. In October, the 3rd Battalion were moved north for some rest in a quiet section. During the terrible winter, Warren was attached for duty with the 1st Divisional Headquarters in January 1917, and was assigned to them in November. Like his cousin, Jack, Warren also proved to be a capable and efficient soldier. Resultantly, he was mentioned twice in General Sir Douglas Haig’s despatches, for devotion to duty throughout 1918. After the war ended on November 11th, Warren acquired some Blighty leave. Upon his return to duty in early January 1919, he was promoted to Temporary Corporal. However, his rank reverted to Private when he was shipped home to Australia from Devonport on the 12th of April 1919.