ANZAC Search

Vincent Augustus Petre Curran

Brigade Sergeant Major Warrant Officer Class I

Serial No:
Serial No. 19266

7th Field Artillery Brigade


Vincent Augustus Petre Curran - Information

Vincent Augustus Petre Curran was born in Albury c1892. He belonged to a family with an extensive military history. His father, John J. Curran was a Major in the army. Similarly, Vincent followed his father developing a career in the military at a young age. He had joined the Artillery in the Militia, and later worked on Staff for the Commonwealth Military Force. Vincent and his family then ran the Commercial Hotel in Camden. Vincent was not one to let others do all the fighting. He signed up in Marrickville on the 16th of April 1916, aged 23. Because of his previously military experience, Vincent was appointed Battery Sergeant Major Warrant Officer II with the 7th Field Artillery Brigade. He was then shipped abroad on the 11th of May 1916, sailing from Sydney on the HMAT Argyllshire.

Vincent disembarked in England, and during training was promoted to Brigade Sergeant Major Warrant Officer Class I on the 23rd of December. A week later, he departed Southampton for the Western Front in France. Here, Vincent and his unit worked tirelessly to provide artillery support and cover for operations. One such campaign was the Third Battle of Ypres in Belgium. In October along the Menin Road near Ypres, Vincent and his men were loading up motor lorries with ammunition cases. These cases were quite heavy, and as he was lifting one it got hit by gunfire and fell down. As a result, Vincent severely strained his abdomen. He was rushed to an aid post on the 23rd, before reporting to hospital in France. In mid November, he was evacuated to England on the Hospital Ship Brighton and was admitted to the 2nd Birmingham Hospital. The strain had damaged his kidney and renal system, resulting in cystitis. The blockage required two operations, however, he was considered unfit for further active service. He was subsequently invalided home in March 1918.

As Vincent was on his way home to Australia; his father left Camden to reside with his brother and sister-in-law at 30 Mount St in North Sydney. Despite this the Camden War Service Association gave Vincent and many other deserving locals a welcome home party in August 1918. Vincent returned home and reunited with his family. Throughout the 1930s, Vincent remained in the Sydney area, living in Burwood and Newtown.