ANZAC Search

Victor George Goss


Serial No:
Serial No. 1724

1st Light Horse Regiment, 1st & 2nd Signal Squadron


Victor George Goss - Information

Victor resided in Camden on Argyle St with his family. The Goss’ originally came from Tamworth, where Victor was born. When the war commenced, Victor was still in Camden and working as a labourer. When he was 21, he enlisted in the Light Horse on the 9th of November 1915. The same day, he was shipped out, departing Sydney on the HMAT Beltana as a Trooper with the 1st Light Horse Regiment.

Victor reached Egypt by the end of the year. In 1916, the 1st Regiment was deployed to protect the Nile Valley. In May, they were vital in the defence of the Suez Canal, the central lifeline to supplying Middle Eastern forces with men and material. The 1st Regiment then participated in the Battle of Romani in August. By the end of the year, they were conducting patrols into the Sinai Desert. However, on the 1st of November, he reported sick with bronchitis, admitted to the 14th Australian General Hospital in Moascar. On the 19th of December, he was detached to the Base Signal Depot in Alexandria. The next day, he attended the Signal School of Instruction in Cleopatra. After being treated for venereal disease in early 1917, Victor reported to the Base Signal Depot. The following month, he was transferred to the 1st Signal Squadron Australian Mounted Division, and on the 25th of June 1917, was attached to the Desert Detailed Corps. In July 1918, he was transferred to the 2nd Signal Squadron. On the 22nd of August, Victor accidentally injured himself, whilst his column was going form Jericho to Ramleh. He was on his motorcycle, when the handle bars slipped and he fell off smashing the ground, injuring his left knee and finger. He was admitted to the 47th Stationary Hospital in Kantara, 24th Stationary, and 14th Stationary Hospital in Port Said by the end of the month. He returned to his unit at the end of September, remaining with them until after the war ended. He boarded the Madras in Kantara on the 28th of June 1919, and returned home to his family in Camden.