ANZAC Search

Victor Frederick Hansen

Staff Sergeant

Serial No:
Serial No. 486

1st Field Artillery Brigade


Victor Frederick Hansen - Information

Victor Frederick was the oldest child of Denmark migrants Lars Christian and Sophia Hansen. Lars and Sophia married in Cobbitty Paddock on the 2nd of July 1884. Victor was born in Cobbitty c1887, and later attended Cobbitty Public School. When he was older, Victor completed a five year apprenticeship with J. Baker in Camden and became a blacksmith. He supported himself as a blacksmith and also as a farmer on the family property of Danefield. Shortly after the war commenced, Victor travelled into the city to meet up with his younger brother, Harold. They decided to enlist in the AIF within days of each other. Victor signed up on the 24th of August 1914. He commenced his training and was made a Shoeing Smith with the 1st Field Artillery Brigade. He then departed Sydney on the 16th of September 1914 onboard the HMAT Pera for war service.

Victor and his mates set down in Egypt, a far cry from the green fields of France that they supposed was their destination. After lengthy training in the desert heat, the 1st FAB was mustered for operations in the Dardanelles in early 1915. Following him to Gallipoli was his little brother, Harold, as part of the 3rd Battalion. Life was very difficult for the troops in the artillery on the Peninsula. They faced steep ridges and gullies, they physically had to push cannons and guns uphill before the troops could have any fire cover. Victor and his comrades experienced the unpleasant conditions at Gallipoli; the summer brought with it extremely high temperatures, flies, unappetising food and dysentery. In the winter months, a blizzard hit the coast with snow and high winds. High Command soon came to the realisation that the stalemate was too costly, and the Campaign was called off. The troops were then moved back to Egypt. Here, Victor was promoted to Temporary Fitting Sergeant on the 8th of January 1916 at Tel-el-Kebir. In early March, he was transferred to Brigade Headquarters and appointed Staff Sergeant. On the 21st of March, he was shipped to France, arriving at the port of Marseilles.

On the Western Front, Victor helped coordinate operations at Headquarters. The weather turned poor towards the end of the year, covering the trenches in mud and snow. At this time, Victor had injured his hand and the wound turned septic. He reported sick on the 30th of December, and was transported by the 5th Field Ambulance to the 36th Casualty Clearing Station. He was admitted to the 20th General Hospital on the 15th of January 1917 for treatment. Later that month, Victor returned to Headquarters. Before long, they were planning for operations for the Battle of Bullecourt. On the 11th of April, Victor was in a dug out in Noreuil, near Bullecourt, when he and another were killed instantly by a shell blast. He was buried at the Noreuil Australian Cemetery, Picardie in France.