ANZAC Search

Stanley Archibald Percy Doust


Serial No:
Serial No. 457

7th Light Horse Regiment


Stanley Archibald Percy Doust - Information

Stanley was a son of Arthur John and Ellen Grace Doust. Arthur and Ellen moved from Windsor to Camden, where Stanley was born on the 12th of September 1890. Sadly, when Stanley was just two years old, he lost his mother. She died on the 9th of January 1893 from complications the day after giving birth to triplets. To add to the loss, only one of the triplets survived. Arthur struggled with the tragedy, marrying widow Rachel Abigail Chaseling in May 1893. Alas, Rachel passed away in 1895. The family pulled together through yet another tragedy, and Arthur again got remarried to Hannah Fox Harding in Newtown in 1897. The Dousts resided at Keeler on John St in Camden. Here, Stanley supported himself working as a general labourer. With the advent of war, Stanley saw an opportunity and decided to join the AIF. He enlisted in the Light Horse in Sydney, on the 18th of September 1914, shortly after the recruitment booths opened. During training, Stanley became a Trooper with the 7th Light Horse Regiment. He then left for war service on the HMAT Ajana, which departed Sydney on the 19th of December 1914.

Landing in Egypt in February 1915, Stanley spent some time training and completing various duties. He then met the rest of his unit in August at Anzac Cove at Gallipoli. The 7th Light Horse, as part of the 2nd Brigade, was attached to the 1st Infantry Division. Stanley and his unit helped defend the line through the blistering summer into the blizzard that hampered the winter months at the end of 1915. The Anzacs were evacuated from Gallipoli in December, and Stanley reached Alexandria on Christmas Day. In 1916, the 7th Regiment repelled a Turkish attack on the Suez Canal and participated on patrols throughout the Sinai Desert, including the Battle of Romani. At the end of 1916, operations shifted into Palestine. A letter, Stanley wrote home at this time was published in the local newspaper: “Their horses, must have imagined they got back to Australia again when they saw the beautiful grass and smiling fields in the Holy Land.” He went on to highlight that he and his mates went digging about in the ruined cities. Eventually, fighting in the desert heat, with poor rations and well water took its toll. On the 25th of May 1917, Stanley reported sick with conjunctivitis. He was treated at the 54th Casualty Clearing Station, and returned to duty in early June. Then by late November, he was suffering with abdominal pains. When he was feeling better, he was marched out to the 2nd Light Horse Training Camp at Port Said in mid December for duty. In June 1918, he was transferred back to the 7th Light Horse Regiment at Moascar. At the time, they were engaged in operations in Jordan. Here, Stanley contracted malaria, and was taken by the Field Ambulance to the 66th Casualty Clearing Station. He was then admitted to the 47th Stationary Hospital in Gaza. He received subsequent treatment in Kantara and Abbassia, before going to the Convalescence Depot in Boulac. While Stanley was still recuperating, he was granted special 1914 Home Leave. He boarded the Devon at Suez on the 18th of October 1918 bound for Australia. While he was at sea, the Armistice was announced. After his discharge, he returned to his civilian life and family in Camden.