ANZAC Search

Percy Pedder Scrivener (MC)


Serial No:
Serial No. 4825

1st Field Artillery Brigade


Percy Pedder Scrivener (MC) - Information

Percy's father, Charles Robert Scrivener, had purchased part of the land known as Campbellfield, before moving to the Campbelltown area in the late 1880s with his third wife, Margaret. Charles and Margaret then had Percy, whom was born in Minto on the 5th of February 1890. Here, they added to their family, while Charles worked as a Commonwealth Surveyor. The family then moved to a property called Baihoa at Mount Irvine near Bell. When the war began, Percy was still in Mount Irvine, employed as an accountant with the Commercial Banking Company. When Percy was 25, he made up his mind to enlist in the AIF, joining up on the 20th of April 1915 in Liverpool. During training, he was made a Private with the 6th Reinforcements, 13th Battalion. He was then transferred to the 8th Reinforcements, 1st Field Artillery Brigade as a Gunner in mid May. He then left for war service from Melbourne, sailing on the SS Makarini on the 15th of September 1915.

Percy arrived in Egypt, and joined his unit at Gallipoli in late November. At the time, life in the trenches was miserable. The men froze as a blizzard hit the coast. After the Gallipoli Campaign ended, Percy was back in Egypt three days before Christmas. At Tel-el-Kebir Camp on the 1st of March 1916, Percy was promoted Temporary Corporal, and then Corporal. A couple of weeks later, he was transported to the Western Front. He fought with his artillery unit on the Western Front throughout 1916. Percy was proving to be an efficient soldier and was promoted to Temporary Sergeant on the 16th of November. After a bitter winter, Percy was taken to England in early March 1917 to attend the Royal Artillery Cadet School. In July, he was appointed 2nd Lieutenant and was shipped back to France via Southampton, returning to the 1st Field Artillery Brigade in mid August. A few days later, on the 22nd of August, Percy was wounded in action. He was caught in a gas attack and received a shell fragment wound to his neck. He was rushed to hospital in Rouen, and then evacuated to England to the 3rd London General Hospital. In early October, he was taken back to France to his unit, and promoted to Lieutenant on the 18th of October. By May 1918, he was completing duty with Brigade Headquarters. Shortly before the war ended, Percy was recommended for an award for conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. During operations, Percy acted as an observation officer carrying vital messages to Artillery Brigade Headquarters from the frontlines under heavy shellfire. This allowed the infantry they were supporting, to successfully capture German posts and prisoners. He also repaired communication wires damaged by shell fire and went forward to pinpoint targets for the gunners. For his brave actions, Percy was awarded the Military Cross. After the war ended, Percy was allotted duty with AIF Headquarters in London. The following month, he was sent home to Australia from Devonport on the Kildonian Castle.

Percy then returned to his civilian life. On the 26th of March 1924, he married Mary Barrie Hindmarsh in Lismore. In the 1930s, Percy and Mary were living in Warilda, and later Springwood, where he joined the local RSL. Percy and Mary began their family before Percy decided to re-enlist in the army during the Second World War. He remained in Springwood, where he passed away in 1974.