ANZAC Search

Paul Wilfred Blumer


Serial No:
Serial No. 19212

21st Signal CompanY


Paul Wilfred Blumer - Information

Paul was born in Picton in 1895 to Charles and Esther. The Blumers then resided in Goulburn. Paul did well at school, and went onto study law. While studying, Paul served as a Sergeant Major in the University Scouts and was completing an apprenticeship with solicitors Sly & Russell in Sydney. Paul then married Nancy Lillian who worked at the Public School in North Ryde, and settled down together in Glebe. Paul then decided to do his bit for his country, enlisting in the AIF on the 8th of November 1916 at the Royal Australian Showground Camp. He was only 21. Attending a Signal Training Depot, he then became a Sapper while at Wireless School in Moore Park. He was subsequently placed with the Divisional Signal Companies and Signallers General Reinforcements. Paul said goodbye to his Nancy, leaving Sydney on the 3rd of September 1917 on the HMAT Kyarra.

Paul sailed to Suez, Egypt in mid October, and was marched out to the Base Signal Depot in Alexandria. However, a week later, he went to hospital for a few days with pyrexia. From the 28th of February 1918 until the 15th of March, Paul was attached to the 21st Signal Company. Paul aided operations by maintaining communication. However, his service would be interrupted by illness. On the 16th of March, he went to the 44th Stationary Hospital in Kantara with boils. After treatment, he returned to Base Signals in mid April 1918. Then on the 22nd of June, he reported to hospital with eczema on his ear. He rejoined his unit on the 21st, only to be readmitted. He was recuperating at a Rest Camp, when the Turks surrendered on the 30th of October. The war then ended on the 11th of November. Paul requested that he be presently returned home, as he had two years of study left to go, and he wanted to start again in the next semester in March 1919. The army agreed, and Paul started out for Australia on the 15th of January onboard the HT Berrima.