ANZAC Search

Norman John Webster Gamble


Serial No:
Serial No. 204

12th Light Horse Regiment, 6th Light Horse Regiment, 3rd Battalion & 1st Battalion


Norman John Webster Gamble - Information

Norman was born in Campbelltown in 1892 to Thomas and Matilda Gamble. He lived on Queen St with his family and worked as a drover. Norman enlisted in the AIF at Liverpool on the 10th of February 1915, aged 22. He was made a Signaller with the 12th Light Horse Regiment. His unit departed Sydney Harbour on the 13th of June 1915 aboard the HMAT Suevic.

Norman landed in Egypt, and was transferred to the 6th Light Horse Regiment in August. However, in September, he was transported to England and taken to hospital in Bristol sick. After Norman recovered, he received training for new Western Front tactics. On the 6th of September 1916, Norman was transferred to the 3rd Battalion at Parkhouse Camp, and was then assigned to the 1st Battalion. In December, Norman was shipped to the trenches in France. He fought bravely; participating in the Battle of Bullecourt and was promoted to Lance Corporal on the 8th of August 1917 during the Third Battle of Ypres. The following year, the Allies were hit hard when the Germans launched their Spring Offensive on the 21st of March. Resulting in a general retreat, the Australian Corps were brought in to plug gaps. Successful in halting their advance, they began to push back. During the Allied counter attacks, Norman was appointed Temporary Corporal in June and then Corporal in July.

Meanwhile, back in Campbelltown, the Gamble family were awaiting news from Norman and Leo. In June 1918, the Campbelltown Herald had published one of Norman’s letters to his mother. This was partly a thankyou for a parcel he received from the '€˜Campbelltown Christmas Committee.'€™ Norman was very grateful for the package of little luxuries including tobacco, tooth brush and paste, soap, tin of cheese, plum pudding and socks knitted by Misses Cantrell and Munro.

Norman continued to participate in successful advances after the Battle of Amiens in August. But on the 19th of September, Norman was wounded in action, hit in both legs, the right side of his back and his feet. His back wound was severe, and he was concurrently evacuated to England, admitted to Middlesex War Hospital in Clacton. Norman was still in the hospital when the war ended. After treatment, he was sent to Australia on the 5th of January 1919.