ANZAC Search

Mervyn Robert K. Druitt

Motor Driver

Serial No:
Serial No. 4375

Australian Army Medical Corps & Army Service Corps


Mervyn Robert K. Druitt - Information

Mervyn was born in Camden in 1895 to Edward Frederick and Maria Louisa Druitt. Edward had previously moved the family to the Camden area, where he became a Town Alderman and Mayor in 1901. Mervyn grew up in the area with his brothers, before Edward relocated the family to Manly. In Sydney, Mervyn served with the 7th and 5th Australian Army Medical Corps, and supported himself working as a clerk. As soon as the recruitment booths were opened, he enlisted on the 24th of August 1914. However, he was discharged a month later. He tried again, enlisting in the AIF in Sydney on the 27th of April 1915. Due to his previous experience, Mervyn delegated to the 3rd Australian General Hospital as a Private. He then departed Sydney Harbour on the 15th of May 1915 onboard the RMS Mooltan.

The Mooltan docked in Egypt. In August, he proceeded towards the Dardanelles. He joined the staff of the 3rd Australian General Hospital on the Greek Island of Lemnos. It was a most inhospitable place. The lack of resources, adequate foodstuffs and water, and over-abundance of wounded was staggering. Towards the end of the year, Mervyn was suffering with dysentery like so many of his colleagues. On the 3rd of November, he reported to Mudros sick. On the 11th, he was invalided to England and admitted to the 3rd London General Hospital in Wandsworth. In the new year, when Mervyn was feeling better, he was shipped to France. Here, in late June, he was transferred to the 3rd Field Ambulance. Mervyn and his unit took care of sick and wounded troops, transporting them to casualty stations and hospitals. In mid October, he was detached for duty with the 9th Battalion. At this time, the weather turned very cold and was compounded by heavy rainfall and snow, turning the Western Front into a muddy quagmire. Soldiers unfortunately got stuck in these conditions for long periods. Consequently, many troops developed trench foot. On the 26th of November, Mervyn reported to hospital with an infected heel. He was evacuated to England and admitted to the Military Hospital in London in late December. Once he recovered, Mervyn was transferred to the Army Service Corps Motor Transport Section in late February 1917 and mustered as a Driver. He was stationed to Tidworth, and by the end of April, was detached for duty with the 109th Training Battalion in Durrington. Mervyn was finally sent back to Australia onboard the Berrima on the 2nd of January 1919.