ANZAC Search

Leopold Henry Ferris


Serial No:
Serial No. 2241

2nd Light Horse Regiment, 52nd Battalion & 47th Battalion


Leopold Henry Ferris - Information

Leopold was born in Camden on the 20th of September 1890 to Alexander and Emma Ferris. The Ferris’ resided in the Camden area of Razorback for sometime before they moved to Wyrallah in northern NSW. Here, Leo served 5 years with the Senior Cadets and 25 months with the 4th Light Horse. He eventually gained employment as a dealer in Lismore, before enlisting at the age of 24. He signed up on the 26th of February 1915 in Lismore. Leo proved to be a natural soldier, he was promoted to Corporal on the 1st of May and held the rank of Sergeant in late August. He embarked Brisbane onboard the HMAT Commonwealth on the 28th of March 1916, as a Trooper with the 2nd Light Horse Regiment.

Leo disembarked in Suez, Egypt in early May. Upon arrival, he was not feeling well and a week and a half later reported to the 4th Auxiliary Hospital with the mumps. He recovered after a month, and was taken to the 1st Light Horse Training Regiment in Romani. However, he was back in hospital the following day with piles. It seems the hot weather did not agree with Leo, and was therefore transferred to the 52nd Infantry Battalion and sent to England. Setting down in early August, he was taken to the 13th Training Battalion at Codford. While in camp, Leo was appointed EDP Sergeant on the 1st of February 1917. However, he reverted to Private two weeks later, when he was shipped to France. From Etaples Base, he was taken on strength to the 47th Battalion in mid March. At the time, the Anzacs were pursuing the Germans as they withdrew to the Hindenburg Line, a newly finished fortified defence line. The following month, command ordered an assault on the German’s new position at Bullecourt. Here, Leo was wounded in action on the 11th of April, when an artillery shell exploded injuring his left arm. After initial treatment, he was invalided to England from Havre in early May, and admitted to the 1st Southern General Hospital. The injury to his arm was serious, the blast had fractured the humerus. After a lot of pain and time, his fracture healed. However, permanent damage to the muscles and tendons, led to a medical discharge. He was sent back to Australia on the 27th of August 1917. Leo returned to his family in Wyrallah near Lismore, where he received a pension.