ANZAC Search

James Robert Hallett


Serial No:
Serial No. 2938

30th Battalion & Australian Army Medical Corps


James Robert Hallett - Information

James was born in Minto in 1894 to Thomas and Elizabeth Hallett. His family then settled on Oxford St in Mortdale. James moved to Sutherland, gaining military experience serving in the 38th Infantry Regiment and working as a plate layer. When he was 21, James decided to enlist in the AIF on the 8th of February 1916 in Liverpool. While in camp, James was posted to the 6th Reinforcements, 30th Battalion as a Private. Just before he embarked, he was charged with insubordination and fined 10 days pay. He left Sydney on the HMAT Nestor on the 9th of April 1916 for war service.

The Nestor sailed into Port Said, Egypt in mid May. The following month, he was transported to England to the 8th Training Battalion for further instruction, and headed for France on the 5th of September. James joined his unit as the winter rains and snow were turning the battlefield into miserable swamps of mud. Draining proved insufficient, and the trenches quickly filled with mud and water. Consequently, soldiers were stuck in these conditions for extended periods. As a result, James was taken to Rouen on the 30th of November 1916 with trench foot. He was evacuated to England on the Hospital Ship St Patrick in late December. He was admitted to the 3rd Southern General Hospital in Oxford. It took some time for his feet to recover from the frostbite. He was then marched out to No. 3 Command Depot in Hurdcott in April 1917. In June, he was given lighter duties attached to an administration detail with Headquarters in London. In February 1918, he was attached for duty with Command Depot. The following month, he was completing duty with the 1st Australian Dermatological Hospital in Bulford. Then on the 1st of November, James was transferred to the Australian Army Medical Corps remaining in Bulford. James was still in England when the war ended. He continued to help take care of soldiers and maintain the wards until late June, when he was sent back to Australia. He reunited with his family, whom relocated to 140 Wells St in Redfern.