ANZAC Search

James Joseph Hunt (MM)


Serial No:
Serial No. 1934

45th Battalion


James Joseph Hunt (MM) - Information

James’ parents Thomas and Annie Hunt had lived in Sydney, where James was born in 1893 in Leichhardt. James was their third child, and after the arrival of two more children, the Hunts moved to Campbelltown and settled on Condamine St. When the war began, James was still living in Campbelltown, and working as a coachman in the area. However, James was looking for a change of pace, and enlisted in the AIF in Bathurst on the 21st of February 1916 at the age of 22.

James was posted to the 45th Battalion, and shipped overseas from Sydney on the 22nd of April aboard the HMAT Warilda. He arrived in England and was taken to the 12th Training Battalion. In September 1916, James was transported to the Western Front, joining the 45th Battalion in the field in October. After spending the winter on the Somme battlefield, James and his unit spent the early months of 1917 chasing the Germans to the Hindenburg Line. On the 7th of June 1917, James was slightly wounded in action during the Battle of Messines. He returned to his unit in July, where he participated in action during the Third Battle of Ypres, fighting in the mud around Passchendaele. In 1918, as a war of movement was restored, James proved to a be very efficient soldier. He was promoted to Corporal in April, Temporary Sergeant a week later, and Sergeant on the 5th of May. During the Battle of Amiens, James and his unit were located east of Hamel. During operations, he successfully led his men to their objective, capturing German prisoners and a machine gun. Later, he was helping his platoon to dig in, when they were fired upon by enemy machine guns and trench mortars. Disregarding his own safety he helped his men repel the attack. For his actions, James was recommended for the DCM for conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty, however, was awarded the Military Medal on the 1st of October 1918. James survived the war, remaining with his unit until he was shipped home in June 1919.

James returned to his life in Campbelltown. He never married, and passed away in Camden in 1935 and was buried at St Johns in Campbelltown.