ANZAC Search

Henry Stewart Scobie


Serial No:
Serial No. 1567

6th Light Horse Regiment, 25th Howitzer Brigade & 13th Field Artillery Brigade


Henry Stewart Scobie - Information

The Scobie family immigrated to the colonies from Scotland. His parents, Elizabeth and William, began their life together on a property in Wedderburn. Here, they added to their family. Henry, who was called Harry, was born in Campbelltown in 1884. Sadly, in the early 1900s, Harry lost both his mother and father within a few years of each other. Harry and his siblings had to rely on each other, with many remaining on the family property in Wedderburn. Growing up, Harry became very close to his brother, James, who was a Captain of the Campbelltown Fire Brigade. Harry supported himself and the family as a vine grower, and also involved himself in the community by becoming a member of the Masonic Lodge Federation. Compelled to do his patriotic duty, he decided to enlist in the AIF when he was 31 years old. Signing up at Liverpool on the 17th of July 1915, he was delegated to the 12th Reinforcements, 6th Light Horse Regiment. Finishing his training, he was then informed that he would soon head off to war. Before he shipped out, Harry went home to Campbelltown to say goodbye to his family. Here, he was given a going away party, and bestowed a gold signet ring during a presentation by the Masonic Lodge Federation. He then left for war service, departing Sydney Harbour on the SS Hawkes Bay on the 23rd of October 1915.

Harry disembarked in Egypt in December 1915, and was eventually taken on strength to the 2nd Reserve Regiment at Maadi. On the 27th of March, he was transferred to the 25th Howitzer Brigade, 113th Battery at Tel-el-Kebir Camp. On the 1st of April, he was promoted to Temporary Bombardier and later appointed Bombardier. Harry was then moved to the Western Front in June. Just after the Somme Offensive commenced in early July, Harry was transferred to the 13th Field Artillery Brigade. He served throughout the horrendous battles in 1916 and 1917 providing essential artillery support for operations. On the 16th of February 1918, he was promoted Temporary Corporal, and became Corporal on the 16th of May. Throughout his tour, Harry was proving to be a very competent soldier and was placed on the superlist for NCO advancement in September. He was then shipped to England, stationed to the Reserve Brigade Australian Artillery in Heytesbury. After the war ended, Henry was sent home from England on the 9th of March 1919. He was then discharged from the military in late June and returned to his family in Wedderburn.