ANZAC Search

Henry James Robert Hamilton Maze


Serial No:
Serial No. 3317

19th Battalion & 20th Battalion


Henry James Robert Hamilton Maze - Information

Henry was born in Kogarah in 1898 to Henry Hamilton and Louisa Jane Maze. The Maze family then moved to The Pines in Ingleburn. Henry grew up in the area with his two sisters, Bessie and Emily, serving in the senior cadets. He then found employment, working for the Government as a clerk. Desperate to serve his country, Henry lied about his age to enlist in the AIF. He signed up in Holsworthy on the 2nd of September 1915, claiming he was 19 years old. He was then sent overseas for war service leaving Sydney Harbour on the 23rd of December 1915. Henry landed in Egypt in January 1916, and was shortly admitted to the 4th Auxiliary Hospital in Cairo with the mumps. In March, Henry joined his unit, the 19th Battalion, and was transported to the Western Front.

After a quiet introduction to trench warfare conducting trench raids at The Nursery, Henry and his mates participated in attacks at Pozières, during the Somme Offensive. Although they successfully captured the village, they suffered many casualties. Granted a reprieve from the onslaught, they were moved north. In September, Henry was taken sick to the 17th Casualty Clearing Station with cellulitis on his neck, and later admitted to the 2nd Australian General Hospital. He was then invalided to England to the Edmonton Military Hospital. By the end of the year, he recovered, and was stationed to the 2nd Command Depot. On the 16th of January 1917, he left Folkestone to return to the front. However, once he reached Etaples Base, he was taken to the 5th General Hospital with venereal disease. Returning to duty in March, he got a surprise as the Germans were withdrawing to the Hindenburg Line. Ordered to attack them, the 19th Battalion engaged them at Lagnicourt. High Command then planned to hit the Hindenburg Line at Bullecourt. Therefore, Henry and his mates participated in the bloody Second Battle of Bullecourt on the 3rd of May. Later in the year, British High Command were pushed to launch an offensive. They endeavoured to seize the Belgian Coast with a new operation, known as the Third Battle of Ypres. The 19th slugged it out in the mud at Menin Road and Poelcappelle. On the 21st of November, he was detached to the 5th Field Company Engineers as a signalling instructor. After being treated for an abscess on his left leg in January 1918, Henry became involved in the bitter fighting that followed the German March Offensive. The Germans broke the stalemate, causing a massive retreat along the front. Resting behind the lines, the Australian Corps were brought forward to plug the gaps. The 19th Battalion held the line at Hangard Wood. Pushing back, the Allies launched their own assault with the Battle of Amiens and later Mont St Quentin in August. In early October, Henry was transferred to the 20th Battalion. At the time, the Germans were running out of steam, signing the Armistice on the 11th of November. In 1919, Henry was then taken back to England, and later left for Australia on the 12th of April.

In Australia, Henry reunited with his family in Ingleburn. Sadly, in 1938 in Campbelltown, his father passed away. The same year, Henry married his girlfriend Elsie Sylvia Coles in Randwick. Henry and Elsie began their family, while he worked as a clerk. Henry passed away on the 21st of September 1957 at 18 Mona Avenue in Maroubra.