ANZAC Search

Harold Bernard Fallon


Serial No:
Serial No. 5796

18th Battalion


Harold Bernard Fallon - Information

Harold Bernard Fallon lived on Menangle Rd in Camden with his sister, Alice. He was born in Charter Towers in Queensland c1897. When he was older, he completed 3 years compulsory training with the Infantry in Ashfield and worked as a farm hand. At the age of 19, he decided to enlist in the AIF on the 16th of June 1916 at the Royal Showground Camp. He commenced his training at Dubbo, before being posted to the 16th Reinforcements, 18th Battalion at Liverpool in August. Proceeding overseas he embarked Sydney onboard the HMAT Ceramic on the 7th of October 1916.

Harold disembarked in Plymouth Harbour in late November. After a short muster, he was transported to France via Folkestone on the 13th of December. Enduring the bitter winter at a Base Depot, Harold joined the 18th Battalion in February. At the time, the Germans were gearing up for their withdrawal to the Hindenburg Line. This line was a series of new defence fortifications which allowed High Command to shorten and strengthen their line. German defences were highly effective; Harold and his unit encountered bitter fighting there during the Second Battle of Bullecourt in early May. The 18th then participated in the devastating Third Battle of Ypres, attacking at Menin Road and Poelcappelle. Heavy rainfall, turned the battlefield into a muddy quagmire, simply moving about in the trenches became a task. In 1918, the Germans wanted to strike hard, launching their Spring Offensive in March. Enduring another bitter winter and consistent heavy fighting were taking its toll on Harold. In late April, he reported to hospital with pain in his knee. He was admitted to hospital with synovitis. After some rest, he rejoined his unit in mid July. Having gained so much ground, the Allies were throwing everything at them to try and force them back. Harold and his unit pushed the Germans back with the successful Battle of Amiens and Mont St Quentin in August. In October, they advanced at Montbrehain. Harold survived the war and was transported back to England in the new year, and headed back to Australia in mid June 1919.