ANZAC Search

George Owen Munro (MM)

George Owen Munro (MM)


Serial No:
Serial No. 4731

20th Battalion & Army Service Corps


George Owen Munro (MM) - Information

The Munro family had long and influential ties to the Campbelltown area. George’s parents Frederick William and Mary Munro had settled in the area and shortly began their family. Their children included Fred, George, Thomas, Dorothy and May. Sadly, in 1903, while the family was living at Mount Anna, George’s older brother, Fred, died in a drowning accident when he was just nine years old. The Munros then settled on Glenlora on Appin Rd. When George was older, he found work as a dairyman in Campbelltown and served in the Colonial Forces. As the war dragged on, George decided to support his friends, and enlisted in the AIF at Casula on the 8th of January 1916, he was 19 years old. George was dispatched to the 20th Battalion, and departed Sydney onboard the HMAT Ceramic on the 13th of April 1916.

George arrived in England and was marched out to the 5th Training Battalion in Rollestone. After training, he was shipped overseas to France in September. Shortly after joining the lines, George reported sick. However, not long after he was released from hospital, he was re-admitted from the 10th of December until the 9th of January 1917. George rejoined his unit, whom were in the middle of operations following the German withdrawal to the Hindenburg Line. Here, George participated in action during the Second Battle of Bullecourt in early May. Afterwards, George was promoted to Lance Corporal on the 22nd of May. His unit was then moved to the Ypres Sector in Belgium for an upcoming offensive, known as the Third Battle of Ypres. Throughout this period, George was experiencing some trouble. In July he lost his rank, now a Private, and in August went absent without leave. Also, at this time, he accidentally injured himself, and was charged with disobeying an order in September. In the new year, George and the 20th Battalion were engaged in heavy fighting following the German Spring Offensive. In August, the Allies launched their own offensive. On the 31st of August at Mont St Quentin, George and a Private Cummins were acting as stretcher-bearers, and for 24 hours continuously rescued wounded under a heavy artillery bombardment and machine gun fire. For his brave actions in saving many of his wounded comrades, George was recommended for the Military Medal by Brigadier General Martin commander of the 5th Australian Infantry Brigade. George survived the war, and in early January 1919 was transferred to the 18th Company, Army Service Corps. On the 9th of May, he was detached to the Depot Unit of Supply, as part of the 2nd Australian Divisional Train. On the 17th of June, George was awarded the Military Medal for his actions at Mont St Quentin. He left England for Australia on the 7th of July. George continued to serve with the supply units for some time, until he was discharged on the 2nd of November 1920.