ANZAC Search

Frederick Lindsay Page(MSM)

2nd Corporal

Serial No:
Serial No. 1257

No. 1 Mining Corps & No. 3 Mining Corps


Frederick Lindsay Page(MSM) - Information

The Page family originally came from Bathurst. Frederick's father, Peter, had moved to the Campbelltown area after marrying his second wife, Mary Ann Allmey. Frederick was then born to Peter and Mary in Campbelltown in 1894. After spending some time in the area with his many siblings, his father moved the family to 60 Marlborough St in Leichhardt. Here, Frederick began working as an electrical engineer, after completing a five year apprenticeship. He then decided to enlist in the AIF, signing up at Casula on the 10th of February 1916, aged 22. Due to Frederick's work experience he was made a Sapper with the No. 1 Mining Corps and was shipped overseas from Sydney on the 20th of February 1916 onboard the HMAT Ulysses.

Frederick arrived in Egypt, and was eventually sent to the Western Front, disembarking at Marseilles on the 5th of May. The following month, Frederick was despatched to No. 3 Mining Corps with the Electrical and Mechanical Mining and Boring Company (EMM&B) at Hazebrouck. After suffering with influenza in December, he returned to duty working as an electrician in the frontlines. From late May 1916, Frederick worked at Vimy Ridge and Neuport. Here, he was required to go out under heavy fire to repair electrical cables in forward trenches. He remained out in the open exposed to fire, repairing lines cut by artillery. For his efforts, Frederick was recommended for the Military Medal on the 23rd of September for great gallantry and devotion to duty. Frederick maintained this courageous service. On the 3rd of June 1918, he was made a Lance Corporal, after completing some duty with AIF Headquarters in London. He returned to the trenches on the Western Front, and in September, was put in charge of the Electric Power Station on Hill 70. This station was vital to the war effort, supplying electrical power for lighting and communication for the men in the trenches and during operations. He had maintained this valuable service under heavy fire and in terrible conditions. He was then recommended for a Meritorious Service Medal on the 4th of October. Frederick served through to the end of the war. In January 1919, he was awarded the Meritorious Service Medal and was given six months paid leave. Frederick returned to duty in July with the EMM&B.

Frederick then returned to Australia on the Euripides on the 24th of October 1919. He arrived in Sydney, and continued to serve with the AIF. During this period, Frederick married his girlfriend Cecilia May Walshe in Ashfield in 1920. Frederick was then finally discharged on the 23rd of January 1921. Frederick and Cecilia were finally able to begin their lives together. Frederick passed away in Parramatta in 1956.