ANZAC Search

Frederick George Boardman


Serial No:
Serial No. 8347

Army Service Corps


Frederick George Boardman - Information

Frederick was a member of the Boardman family whom resided at Strathberton in Camden. Born in Camden c1895 to James and Alice Boardman, he grew up in the area with his many siblings. Sadly, he lost his mother when she passed away on the 4th of December in 1912. At this time, Frederick was gaining military experience serving two years in the cadets and one year with the 9th Light Horse, as part of the NSW Mounted Rifles. The lives of the Boardman family were about to change. Just after Frederick turned 20, he signed up to the AIF on the 6th of September 1915 in Sydney. Also Frederick’s father began a relationship with Emily Veness, marrying in Cawdor the following year. During training, Frederick was made a Driver with the 20th Army Service Corps, 2nd Divisional Train. He left Sydney Harbour on the 27th of November 1915 on the HMAT Uganda.

Frederick landed in Egypt, and was allotted to Headquarters of the 5th Divisional Train. In early March 1916, he was transferred to the 10th Army Service Corps in Alexandria. Frederick worked hard with his unit, transporting men and war material for operations. In June, Frederick was shipped to the Western Front in France, where he was kept very busy. On the 8th of November, he was despatched for duty with the 25th Field Artillery Brigade. He was then attached to the 5th Army Rest Station in June 1917. However, on the 8th of May 1918, Frederick was brought in before a General Court Martial held at the 5th Divisional Train Headquarters. He was charged with being in possession of stolen plunder at Corbie on the 9th of April. Frederick was fined a total of 57 days pay for this crime. Frederick remained with his unit until after the war ended, packing up the Western Front. In May 1919, he was suffering with bronchitis, and was then sent back to Australia onboard the Prince Ludwig on the 9th of July. After he was discharged he returned to his family in Camden. By the 1930s, Frederick had relocated to a property called Trangie in Woodbine. He passed away in Cawdor on the 23rd of October 1972.