ANZAC Search

Frederick Arthur Murray(MM)


Serial No:
Serial No. 1728

12th Light Horse Regiment & 4th Light Horse Regiment


Frederick Arthur Murray(MM) - Information

Frederick was born in Campbelltown c1891 to Rollo Macdonald and Elizabeth Murray. When the war started, Frederick was living in Burrawang near Moss Vale, with his family. Here, he supported himself working as a farmer, before he enlisted in the AIF at the Royal Showground on the 11th of July 1916. Frederick trained as a Trooper with the 12th Light Horse Regiment at Menangle Park. He was then sent overseas from Sydney upon the HMAT Medic on the 12th of December 1916.

Frederick arrived in Egypt and was taken on strength to the 12th Light Horse Regiment in mid February 1917. He was then transferred to the 4th Light Horse Regiment in March. However, the following month, while conducting patrols throughout Palestine Frederick was suffering from a head wound that turned septic. After treatment, he rejoined his unit two weeks later. Then in July, Frederick was suffering with myalgia due to an outbreak of malaria, and was admitted to the 14th General Hospital. By late August, he was resting at the British Red Cross Convalescence Depot in Moutazah. When he returned to duty, he was transferred to the Imperial Camel Corps on the 1st of September. The following month, he was transferred back to the 12th Light Horse Regiment. Frederick patrolled the area for Turkish forces, fighting in many battles including Gaza and Beersheba. Frederick also participated in operations in the Jordan Valley, where Allied forces were hindered by strong Turkish resistance. In October 1918, while the Allies advanced into Syria, poor health again struck Frederick. He was suffering with a high fever and was admitted to Port Said Hospital. At the time, Frederick was awarded the Military Medal for devotion to duty. Frederick survived the war, and remained with his unit until he was sent home from Kantara in Egypt on the 20th of July 1919. Frederick was discharged on the 6th of October, and returned to his civilian life.