Francis Christopher Lawson
Serial No. 6528
Francis Christopher Lawson - Information
Francis Christopher Lawson settled in Campbelltown with his family in the 1900s. Francis was born near Macleay River in 1874, and later completed an apprenticeship with his father, John Lawson, working as a carpenter. He soon fell in love, marrying Ann Rose McCoy in Kempsey in 1897. They were blessed with five children, Minnie, Sylvia, Eliza, Muriel and John before they moved to Campbelltown. Francis and Ann settled down on Lindsay St, where they welcomed another child, Frances Marion in 1912. He continued to support his family as a carpenter, until their lives were interrupted by the war. At the age of 41, Francis enlisted in the AIF in Liverpool on the 16th of March 1916.
Francis trained at Liverpool Depot, and in June, was made Acting Quartermaster Sergeant with C Company. He was then posted as a Private to the 21st Reinforcements, 3rd Battalion. His unit left Sydney on the 7th of October 1916 onboard the HMAT Ceramic. When they reached Capetown, South Africa on the 1st of November, he was taken off to hospital ill. He was admitted to the South African Depot in Durban with chronic bronchitis. A medical examination, found him unsuitable for active service. On the 21st of November, he was ordered back to Australia on the Hospital Ship Miltiades. He was discharged from service in January 1917 and returned to Campbelltown. Luckily, he was given the chance to watch his children grow, as Ann took a position teaching infants at Campbelltown Public School. Sadly, Francis lost his wife in 1940, before passing away himself in 1949. They are both buried in the Presbyterian Cemetery in Campbelltown.