ANZAC Search

David Goodlet Clark

2nd Lieutenant

Serial No:
Serial No. 1074

12th Light Horse Regiment &Australian Flying Corps


David Goodlet Clark - Information

David left for war service, departing Sydney on the 5th of October 1915 upon the HMAT Themistocles. He was born in Picton, the eldest son of David Bareclay and Josephine Davison Clark. When the war began, his family was residing at Avismore on Lorrie Ave in Killara. David then moved to Linkeith in Willow Tree. Here, he worked as a grazier. When he was 23, he signed up on the 1st of June 1915 in Liverpool, and was made a Trooper with the 5th Reinforcements, 12th Light Horse Regiment.

David landed in Egypt in late 1915. He then joined the 12th Light Horse Regiment at Heliopolis in late February 1916, when they returned from Gallipoli. In May, they were positioned to defend the Suez Canal from a Turkish attack. A vital resource; for whom controlled the water channels, dominated supply routes. They then commenced patrolling throughout the Sinai Desert for Turkish Forces for most of 1916. In December 1916, David asked to be assigned to the Australian Flying Corps. He was attached to the 67th Australian Squadron for a trade test. He was successful and posted to the 68th Squadron on the 19th of December. On the 30th of January 1917, he was transported to Southampton in England. Here, he received further pilot training. In July, he was marched out to the Staff Officer School for Aviation in London, and later attached to the 29th Training Squadron in August. The following month, he became a Cadet with the 30th Training Squadron. He was appointed 2nd Lieutenant on the 10th of October and later that month was transported to France. On the Western Front, he joined the 2nd Australian Squadron on the 2nd of November. He went out on a patrol a couple of weeks later but never came back. He was reported missing in action on the 22nd of November, and an investigation was ordered. In a display of chivalry, German aircraft dropped information into English lines, proclaiming that David had been shot down. Witnesses confirmed that he was shot down by enemy planes over Boutor Wood on the 22nd of November 1917. Sadly, one of these witnesses was his own brother, Alexander, also a pilot, whom had been sent on the same patrol. His name was later added to the Arras Flying Services Memorial in France. His parents, who moved to Hazelbrook, would continue to morn their son.