ANZAC Search

Clarence Arthur Bondeson

Clarence Arthur Bondeson


Serial No:
Serial No. 1158

1st Light Horse Regiment & 1st Light Horse Field Ambulance


Clarence Arthur Bondeson - Information

Clarence Arthur Bondeson was born on the 28th of September 1894 in Yass. He eventually came to Campbelltown to live with his uncle, Ernest Keane, on Maryfield. When the war broke out, Clarence was still living in Campbelltown with his uncle, working as a station overseer. Clarence had previous military experience serving with the Liverpool Light Horse. As the guns at Gallipoli were raging, he decided to sign up. He enlisted in the Light Horse on the 27th of May 1915 at the Liverpool Light Horse Depot.

Clarence was designated to the 1st Light Horse Regiment and was shipped overseas from Sydney on the 9th of August 1915 upon the HMAT Runic. His unit arrived in Egypt, and in October was transported to Anzac Cove at Gallipoli. As the campaign drew to a close, Clarence was stationed back in Egypt in December 1915. In February 1916, he was transferred to the 1st Light Horse Field Ambulance at Wardan, and was appointed Driver. Clarence spent the remainder of the war caring for his wounded and sick comrades, bringing them in from the desert to casualty stations and hospitals. In mid February 1916, Clarence was detached to El Basra. Then in December, he was serving with the 1st Light Horse Field Ambulance at Mazar. The following year, he completed duty with the Australian Army Medical Corps details at Moascar Camp. On the 18th of July 1917, Clarence voluntarily reverts to Trooper, and was transferred to AIF Headquarters at Marakeb for transport duty. On the 23rd of August, he left Suez aboard the HT Boorara to undertake nursing duties for troops going home. Once he reached Australia, Clarence was honourably discharged from the military on the 1st of November 1917.

Clarence returned to his civilian life, and soon fell in love and got married. He and his wife, Thelma Isabel, moved to 2834 Waterloo St in Rockhampton, Queensland. Clarence supported his new family working as a builder'€™s labourer. However, this was to change with the advent of the Second World War. Clarence again decided to serve his country. He enlisted in the army at Rockhampton on the 29th of December 1939, at the ripe old age of 45. Clarence was taken on strength to the 1st and 15th Garrison Regiment. He was promoted to Corporal in December 1940 and then Sergeant in August 1941. Clarence was stationed to Cowra Camp and served the rest of his tour of duty with the 1st (Gen) Battalion, discharged on the 16th of August 1944. Clarence passed away on the 23rd of May 1966, he was 77.