ANZAC Search

Charles William Packer


Serial No:
Serial No. 7351

3rd Battalion


Charles William Packer - Information

Charles William Packer was born in Campbelltown on the 10th of September 1899. He was the only son of Goodwin and Maggie Sophia Packer. Goodwin was a Town Alderman, and was the storekeeper of the Campbelltown Supply Store. When the war began, Charles was living with his family on Queen St, and working as a clerk, while serving with the Liverpool Senior Cadets. Charles then lied about his age when he enlisted in the AIF. He was actually 17 not 18, when he joined up at Liverpool on the 17th of April 1917. Accepted, Charles was subsequently posted to the 24th Reinforcements, 3rd Battalion. After training, he boarded the HMAT Clan McGillivray in Melbourne on the 10th of May 1917.

On his voyage to England, Charles reported to sick bay with influenza and tonsillitis in June and July respectively. He then arrived at Plymouth Harbour in late July, and was marched out to No. 143 Camp Details at Parkhouse. Later, while conducting exercises at Larkhill, he began suffering with debility. He reported to hospital and was afterwards sent home to Australia on the 13th of December 1917. Discharged from military service in mid January 1918, Charles returned to his life and family whom were now living on Military Rd in Watson's Bay. However, shortly after he returned, he decided to enlist in the AIF again. He signed up in Sydney on the 24th of September 1918. Charles commenced his training at the M & D Depot. However, while he was in camp the Armistice was announced. His unit was demobilised on the 18th of November 1918, and he was discharged from service.

Charles soon married the love of his life, Winifred Annie Fooks in Sydney in 1920. Charles and Winifred had four children, Jean, Isabelle, June and Goodwin.350 Although making a life in Guilford, Charles maintained a connection to Campbelltown, baptising his children at St Peters Church. Charles and Winifred watched their children grow before Charles passed away in Burwood in 1965.