ANZAC Search

Charles Asher


Serial No:
Serial No. 6276

11th Field Artillery Brigade


Charles Asher - Information

When war broke out, Charles was working as a cattle dealer in the Campbelltown area, and living with his parents Daniel and Hannah Asher on Church St, Ingleburn. Charles had watched his older brother, John Henry, join the AIF in 1915, before also deciding to enlist at the age of 24, on the 18th of October 1916.

Charles'€™ career in the army is quite interesting. After enlisting at the Royal Australian Show Ground, he was placed as a Trooper with the 12th Light Horse Regiment for ten days at Menangle Park Camp. He was then transferred as a Private to the 18th Reinforcements, 20th Battalion on the 1st of November, and departed Sydney on the 11th aboard HMAT Suevic. After arriving at Devonport in January 1917, he joined his unit in France in May. Later that month, Charles was again transferred to the 11th Field Artillery Brigade, 111th Battery.

Charles was then wounded in action during the Battle of Messines on the 10th of June, with a shrapnel wound to his right thigh. A few days later, he was evacuated to England, to Shorncliffe Military Hospital. On the 24th of July, Charles was transferred to the 3rd Auxiliary Hospital, before being sent to Hurdcott to recuperate. During his time in hospital, Charles unfortunately would have been told that his brother John Henry had been killed in action in September. After this terrible news, he returned to active service with the 4th Divisional Artillery Column, and then the 11th Field Artillery Brigade on the 1st of November as a Driver. After being wounded, Charles struggled with the winter conditions on the Western Front. Resultantly, he reported to hospital sick on the 18th of December, and rejoined the lines on the 29th. The mud and cold only got worse and on the 15th of January 1918, he was taken out of the lines with a reddened and discoloured right foot. He was subsequently admitted to Boscombe Military Hospital in England with trench foot. In early February, Charles was transferred to the 1st Australian Auxiliary Hospital, suffering with increasing loss of sensation, separating toenails and damaged toe joints due to severe frostbite. He was consequently invalided home to Australia on Hospital Transport Field Marshal on the 12th of March 1918.

Charles reached Australia in May, and on the 31st was given a welcome home concert in Ingleburn. He was thanked for his service and presented with a gold medal. Charles then resided at 59 Lithgow St in Campbelltown. Here, he met Hannah Sophia Shaw of 12 Sturt St and fell in love. They married on the 4th of August 1920, and the following year, were blessed with the birth of their daughter Daisy Ada on the 12th of July. Charles then worked as a granger and overseer for the Campbelltown Council. Charles was considered an influential Campbelltown townsperson, Asher Place was named after him. Charles passed away in 1956, five years after his wife. They are buried together at St Peters in Campbelltown.