ANZAC Search

Arthur Edward Starr


Serial No:
Serial No. 1790

7th Light Horse Regiment & 10th Field Artillery Briagde


Arthur Edward Starr - Information

Arthur was born in Appin c1881 to James and Mary Ann Starr. The Starrs then moved to Bulli, where they resided on Pass Road. When he was older, Arthur began working as a miner. At the age of 34, he decided to do his bit and joined the military. He travelled to Holsworthy to enlist in the AIF on the 27th of September 1915. Arthur became a member of the Light Horse, posted to the 13th Reinforcements, 7th Light Horse Regiment. On the 20th of December 1915, he was shipped overseas from Sydney onboard the HMAT Aeneas.

Arthur journeyed to Egypt, and shortly joined the 7th Light Horse Regiment. However, at the time, much emphasis was placed on the need for manpower on the Western Front. Therefore, on the 1st of April 1916, he was transferred to the 10th Field Artillery Brigade as a Gunner. Arthur soon found himself on the Western Front in France, providing superior firepower for the ghastly battles that would dominate 1916 and 1917. He was then wounded on the 15th of July 1917. He received a gun shot wound to his back, and was later rushed from the Casualty Clearing Station to hospital in Havre. In mid August, Arthur was able to return to duty. On the 20th of September 1917, he was promoted Temporary Bombardier during Third Battle of Ypres. In this campaign, the artillery was exceptionally critical to Allied strategy. British Army Commander, General Plumer, enforced the use of artillery, not only, for preliminary bombardments, but also, as a 'creeping barrage,' which protected advancing troops from pockets of enemy fire. By the end of the year, Arthur was made Bombardier. The fighting throughout 1918, proved to be endless assaults after assaults. In early August, he reverted to Gunner at his own request, before being appointed Driver. After the war ended, Arthur was granted leave in London. He then began his voyage back to Australia in May 1919. He was discharged and returned home to Bulli.