ANZAC Search

Arthur Drury Dengate


Serial No:
Serial No. 2178

1st Light Horse Regiment &3rd Field Artillery Brigade


Arthur Drury Dengate - Information

The Dengates were a large family from the Camden area. Arthur was the oldest son of Frank and Frances Ann Dengate.92 Arthur was born in Camden in 1895, and spent most of his life growing up on the family property of Lynn Farm with his brothers and sisters and many cousins. After his schooling, Arthur completed a 2 year apprenticeship with W. Peters in Camden and served in the Camden 9th Light Horse, as part of the NSW Mounted Rifles. He then began working as a farmer on the family property. The advent of war, would have a tremendous impact on the Dengate family. In late 1915, Arthur’s cousin, Edward John Dengate, and his two sons, had joined the war effort. Arthur followed suit and enlisted on the 1st of November 1915 in Liverpool. Coincidently, joining him at Liverpool was his second cousin, Henry George Dengate. Both Arthur and Henry were extremely capable riders, and were therefore made Troopers with the 1st Light Horse Regiment Reinforcements. They completed their training at the Liverpool Light Horse Depot and were sent overseas for war service. They departed Sydney Harbour on the 21st of March 1916, onboard the HMAT Armadale.

The Armadale sailed to Egypt in April, where Arthur and Henry were taken to the 1st Light Horse Training Regiment at Tel-el-Kebir. However, a desperate need for manpower on the Western Front, prompted many transfers. Consequently, both Arthur and Henry were transferred to the Field Artillery in mid May. They were then transported to England for training, arriving in Plymouth in June. Arthur and Henry trained as Gunners, before parting ways. In early August, Arthur had been taken to France and posted to the 4th Division Artillery Brigade, and later taken on strength to the 3rd Field Artillery Brigade. Arthur and his unit provided necessary artillery support to cover and aid troops during operations. The success of which, were tied to the accuracy and hard work of the Gunners. Arthur survived the war, and remained with his unit on the Western Front until March 1919. He was then detached to the RBAA in England, until he commenced his voyage home on the Boonah in late April.

After Arthur reached Australia, he was discharged from military service in July 1919. He reunited with his family in Camden. In 1924, he married his sweetheart, Mary Ryan in Goulburn. Arthur remained in Camden for most of his life, passing away on the 4th of November 1957.93