ANZAC Search

Albert Stuart Warnkin


Serial No:
Serial No. 2708

2nd Battalion, 45th Battalion & 12th Light Trench Mortar Battery


Albert Stuart Warnkin - Information

Albert was born in Glasgow, Scotland c1880. Albert grew up in the UK, and when he was older, attended the Municipal School of Cookery in London for 3 years. He also gained military experience serving 7 years in the Royal Horse Artillery, and 3 years of those abroad in Natal. Albert eventually migrated to Australia. He came to the area, and stayed with Mr Harris, the Mayor of Ingleburn, as his personal chef. He then decided to serve the empire, joining the AIF on the 10th of July 1915 in Liverpool. He was made a Private with the 2nd Battalion and was soon to go to war. He departed Sydney on the 9th of August 1915 onboard the HMAT Runic.

Albert disembarked in Egypt, having become rather poorly on the voyage, he was taken to the 1st Australian General Hospital with bronchitis on the 10th of September. The Gallipoli Campaign was called off later in the year, and Albert met his unit when they returned from the Dardanelles in early 1916. On the 1st of March, Albert was transferred to the 45th Battalion. He was then promoted to Lance Corporal at Serapeum on the 20th of May. The following month, he was transported to the Western Front. Shortly after arriving in France, Albert was transferred to the 12th Light Trench Mortar Battery. He was then promoted Corporal on the 1st of August. He fought during the Somme Campaign, experiencing the incessant bombardments of millions upon millions of shells. Consequently, on the 8th of August, Albert was taken to the 3rd Casualty Clearing Station with shell shock. He was then admitted to the 1st Australian General Hospital in Rouen, and after a few days, was taken to a Convalescence Camp. His terrible experience, not only, impacted his health, but also, affected his behaviour. On the 12th of September, he was brought before a General Court Martial, charged with being drunk whilst on active service. Albert was found guilty and reduced to the rank of Gunner. In late January 1917, Albert was taken to a Segregation Camp, and in April, was attached for duty with 1st ANZAC Headquarters. In December, he was evacuated to England with debility. Despite his removal from the fighting, he was considered unfit for active service. He was then invalided home with debility and disordered action of the heart.